Author Visits and Road Trips
For the most part, Neal is booked through December 2015 — however there are some openings during his CHALLENGER DEEP tour, in April and May of 2015. Contact us if you’re interested in the tour, or if you’d like to book a 2016 visit.
Mr. Shusterman’s fee ranges from $3,300 to $6,300 per day, depending on three factors: How many students are being addressed (More students = lower fee), how many consecutive days are being booked (more days = lower fee per day), and how familar students will be with the books (more familiarity = lower fee). The fee INCLUDES all hotel and travel expenses from Southern California. For a full day at a school, he will do up to four large group sessions, plus a small group work-shop (or three larger sessions, and two smaller workshops). He is also occasionally asked to do late afternoon, or evening sessions that include parents, for an additional fee. He also can divide his day between two schools.
His large group presentations are question driven, as he find the kids tend to be more tuned-in when the presentation is interactive. Mr. Shusterman tailors his answers to make sure he hits the following topics:
- When he first began writing, and the positive influence of school and teachers.
- The various forms of writing he does — books, games, film and TV.
- The importance of creativity and imagination in all aspects of life
- The process of writing, and more importantly rewriting.
- How the publishing and entertainment industries work — the process of creating a book, TV show or film, from the writer’s perspective.
- The practical aspects of a career as a writer
- Where ideas come from, using some of his own stories as examples.
- Using a combination of experience, imagination, and research when writing.
The smaller workshops are brainstorming sessions, where Mr. Shusterman works with the kids to come up with their own stories. He also likes to set aside some time for autographing books. Please contact us if you’d like references.
(And yes, that’s Neal’s real license plate!)